Some signs that you require a filling include:
- Tooth sensitivity when a certain tooth is exposed to hot or cold temperatures
- Holes or dark spots on teeth.
- An existing tooth filling is cracked or broken.
- Your tooth is chipped or fractured.
Before the filling procedure, our oral health professionals will use specialised tools to extract any decay to ensure that the area is clear. If needed, they will also use a local anaesthetic to ensure that the entire process in painless.
Once all the decay is removed, our dentists will shape the space to prepare it for the filling. Different types of fillings require different shaping procedures to make ensure that they stay in place. You may also require a base or a liner to protect the tooth’s pulp where the nerves are.
Advantages of fillings include:
- Limits damage caused by dental cavities and decay
- Protects the remaining tooth structure from further damage
- Restores tooth function
- Prevents tooth loss and nerve damage
- Helps to achieve and maintain fresh breath by eliminating bacteria